ConfigMgr is still being developed despite it’s apparent near death experience on Twitter recently. I tested upgrading to TP2401 but it failed the prerequisite check immediately. The failure didn’t add up so I had to contact Microsoft Product Group to dig deeper.
Here’s a summary of what happened.
After running the prerequisites check, it failed on the Resource Access Policies check as shown here.
This was odd because my ConfigMgr Primary setting for Resource access policies had already been moved to Intune as shown in the screenshot below. You can also see that it has failed the prerequisites check in this screenshot.
I double checked that there was no certificate registration point site system role on any of my site servers (there wasn’t) and no resource access policies created either (there weren’t).
So I was stumped. I posted about the problem on Twitter here.
After contacting the Microsoft Product Group responsible for ConfigMgr directly, we arranged a Teams call where we ran some SQL commands to reveal the source of the problem, it seems it was a regression from an earlier release of Technical Preview, namely TP2311. That said, people upgrading from ConfigMgr 2309 to 2403 when it eventually ships, shouldn’t have this specific problem.
To solve it, I had to move the Client apps slider from Configuration Manager to Pilot Intune, click Apply, then OK. Then move it all the way back to Configuration Manager.
After doing that, the upgrade passed the Prerequisites check without issue and the upgrade to TP2401 succeeded ! I’ve confirmed from 3 other people who had the same issue that this works.
Now that it’s installed, time to look at the list of new features, including some Bitlocker fixes.
- Automated diagnostic Dashboard for Software Update Issues
- Introducing Centralized Search box: Effortlessly Find What You Need in the Console!
- Microsoft Azure Active Directory rebranded to Microsoft Entra ID
- Enhancement in Deploying Software Packages with Dynamic Variables
- Enabling Auto-Image Patching for CMG Virtual Machine Scale Set
- Window 11 Readiness dashboard to support Windows 23H2
- HTTPS or Enhanced HTTP should be enabled for client communication from this version of Configuration Manager
- Upgrade to CM 2403 is blocked if CMG V1 is running as a cloud service (classic)
- Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 operating system site system roles aren’t supported from this version of Configuration Manager
- Improvements to Bitlocker