I had this problem today so thought i’d blog about it, as it’s so annoying. Imagine you are editing your masterpiece and you make a change to the task sequence and click apply. The ConfigMgr console reports back an error similar to this:
Error: The task sequence can not be created. Please see following error information or log file to resolve the issue.
– An error occurred when storing the task sequence.
A quick dig through various logs on your ConfigMgr console computer (eg: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager Console\AdminUI\AdminUILog) will reveal a log file called SmsAdminUI.log
open the log in Trace32.exe
you’ll probably see messages in RED like this
[2010-08-27 09:18:46] :Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException\r\nThe ConfigMgr Provider reported an error.\r\n at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlConnectionManager.ExecuteMethod(String methodClass, String methodName, Dictionary`2 methodParameters, Boolean traceParameters) at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.AdminConsole.OsdCommon.OsdUtilities.SetSequence(ConnectionManagerBase connectionManager, IResultObject taskSequencePackage, IResultObject taskSequence)\r\nConfigMgr Error Object:
Description = “Failed verifying schema version property in wmi sequence”;
ErrorCode = 2147500037;
A quick search led me to here, here, here and finally here and the overall consensus was that it was a WMI error (Windows Management Instrumentation) on the ConfigMgr server and that the WMI service needed a restart (or reboot the server).
I tried this on our Central SCCM server and I still got the error, I then realised that the SMS Provider (SQL db) was on a separate server so I did the same action (restarted the WMI service, which in turn will restart the SMS Agent Host service) on that server, and as soon as I had the two services started again, all was good.
Moral of the story, if you have this problem, restart the WMI service on the SMS provider server.
2. Microsoft Technet Forums – http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/e7c40198-03b8-4bb3-ab89-6e6680f43e18
3. System Center Confusion Management – http://ihateyou1603.blogspot.com/2010/05/unable-to-edit-task-sequences-sccm.html
4. Microsoft Technet Forums – http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/8144f211-73f4-46cb-9615-b25bdeec04c0
5. Microsoft Technet forums – http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/configmgrosd/thread/62de701d-2927-4dbe-80b6-b26432522e72